News4u - A unit of Worldcast Media Network

Pakistan to test-fire nuclear-missile

News4u-News Desk-ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will test fire a newnuclear-capable missile by the end of this month, a media report said Saturday.

Geo News reported that the surface-to-surface ‘Nasr’ missile has a 180-km range and a high degree of accuracy.

The army has completed preparations for it, said sources.

Pakistan April 25 successfully test-fired an intermediate range nuclear-capable missile, less than a week after India tested a 5,000-km range missile.

The missile was capable of carrying nuclear and conventional warheads.

In March, Pakistan test-fired a nuclear-capable short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile. The Hatf-2 missile can travel up to 180 km and deliver nuclear as well as conventional warheads with high accuracy.

Pakistan’s missile repertory includes Hatf ballistic missiles and its variants, Ghaznavi short-range ballistic missile, Ghauri and Shaheen medium and intermediate range ballistic missiles, Babur cruise missiles and Baktar-Shikan anti-tank guided missile, most of which have been developed with China’s help.IANS

Pakistan Flag

Pakistan Flag

[ratings] Email This Post Email This Post

Kasab was never tortured, given fair trial: Maharashtra govt to SC

News4u-News Desk-NEW DELHI: The Maharashtra government on Wednesday refuted the allegation of the sole convict in 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case,Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, that he was not given fair trial and said death sentence awarded to him was a permissible means of punishment.

Former solicitor general Gopal Subramaniam, appearing for the state government, contended that Kasab was never tortured or maltreated and there has been no violation of his constitutional rights.

“At no point of time he was tortured or maltreated by the authorities and there has been no failure of constitutional rights given to him,” he submitted before a bench comprising justices Aftam Alam and C K Prasad.

Subramaniam also submitted that death sentence, which has been awarded to Kasab, is a permissible means of punishment.

Referring to the entire sequence of events leading to the 26/11 attack, which was planned by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in Pakistan, he submitted that had Kasab not been caught alive, then it would not have been possible to know that outsiders were involved in the mayhem.

24-year-old Kasab had on Tuesday pleaded with the Supreme Court to commute his death sentence to life imprisonment.

Senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, who has been appointed amicus curiae by the apex court to defend Kasab, had told the bench that he was not a part of the larger conspiracy for waging war against the nation.

Stressing on Kasab’s age as an important factor to commute his sentence, he had pleaded for a lenient approach as he was drawn into it as a result of exploitation of religious faith and false ideology.

Maintaining that the prosecution has failed to prove the case against Kasab beyond doubts, he had said that his right against self-incrimination as well as his right to get himself adequately represented by a counsel to defend himself in the case had been violated during the trial.

The apex court had on October 10 last year stayed the death sentence of Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist involved in the November 2008 Mumbai attack.

In the special leave petition (SLP) filed by Kasab challenging the Bombay high court judgement, he had claimed he was brainwashed like a “robot” into committing the heinous crime in the name of “God” and that he does not deserve capital punishment owing to his young age.

Kasab, who is lodged in Arthur Road prison in Mumbai, had moved the SLP through the jail authorities. He had challenged his conviction and death sentence in the terror attack case.

Kasab, along with nine other Pakistani terrorists, had landed at Budhwar Park in south Mumbai on November 26, 2008, night after travelling from Karachi by sea and had gone on a shooting spree at various city landmarks, leaving 166 people dead and many more wounded.

While Kasab was captured, the other terrorists in the group were killed by security forces during the counter-terror operations. He was sentenced to death by a special anti-terror court on May 6, 2010.

The Bombay high court had on February 21, last year, upheld the trial court order of death sentence to Kasab for the “brutal and diabolical” attacks aimed at “destabilising” the government.

Kasab’s death penalty was upheld on charges of criminal conspiracy, waging war against the nation and various other provisions of the Indian Penal Code and the anti-terror law — Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The high court had upheld Kasab’s conviction on 19 counts under the IPC, Arms Act, Explosives Act, Explosive Substances Act, Foreigners Act, Passport Act and Railway Act. PTI

Pakistani national Ajmal Kasab

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Age of media restrictions is over, say experts

News4u-News Desk- Hyderabad, Legal experts feel that the restrictions on the media in covering judicial proceedings should be lifted.

Charles Glasser, media counsel for Bloomberg News, opined that the media restriction on judicial issues will not work effectively in the era of internet and global information revolution.

“Courts putting restrictions doesn’t make sense any more as so much of information is available on the Internet.

What is the point in preventing press from giving information that is already available,” he said.

“You cannot silence press anymore,” Glasser said today in a session on ‘Trail by media-issues and challenges’ which was organised as part of the ongoing 17th Commonwealth Law Conference here.

M Jagannadha Rao, former Chairman of Law Commission, said the Supreme Court had already drawn the line between free speech and rights of the accused.

The session witnessed an interesting debate on various aspects of reporting of judicial proceedings in the media.

charles glasser

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Read what Pak media has to say on Obama’s India visit

News4u-News Desk-IANS-ISLAMABAD: Barack Obama’s four-day India visit received massive coverage in the Pakistani media which highlighted the US president asking India to bolster peace efforts with Pakistan.

The Daily Jang said: “Obama urges India to work for peace with Pakistan while cautioning Pakistan that the pace of steps taken for curbing terrorism need to be expedited.”

“Be a good neighbour, Obama tells India”, screamed the headline of Dawn newspaper.

“President Obama used the meeting with students in Mumbai Sunday to teach them the lesson of joy in being a good neighbour,” it said while referring to Obama’s interaction with students of Mumbai’s St. Xavier’s College.

A headline in The Nation was blunt: “Carrots for India, sticks for Pakistan”.

The News said: “Obama called on India to bolster the peace efforts with Pakistan that started to flounder in 2008 after the Mumbai attacks.”

At least 166 people were killed in the November 2008 Mumbai terror attack when 10 gunmen from Pakistan sneaked into India’s financial capital and let loose a reign of terror.

Obama and his wife Michelle’s dance moves also got rave reviews in the local media and were seen “as an effort to promote ties with India at all costs”.

“It is evident that the Obamas are willing to go the extra mile and give an informal touch to the official engagements,” said daily Khabrain.

“ Islamabad and New Delhi start resolving the smaller issues before moving on to the more contentious issues,” said Nawa-i-Waqt, adding that “Mumbai attacks also had a damaging impact on Pakistan”.

Pakistani media follows Obama's India visit closely

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Pakistani media follows Obama’s India visit closely

News4u-News Desk-Islamabad, (PTI) US President Barack Obama’s visit to India dominated the front pages of Pakistani newspapers today, with the media focusing on his efforts to drum up business and create new jobs for the American economy.

Pakistani TV news channels followed every move made by Obama and his wife Michelle, providing live coverage of his public speaking engagements, interactions with different segments of society and even his arrivals in Mumbai and New Delhi.

The headline on the front page of the influential Dawn newspaper highlighted USD 10 billion trade deal between the two countries which will generate 50,000 jobs in the US.

The dailies provided extensive coverage of various events that Obama or his wife participated though there were no editorials or articles analysing his comments.

Pakistani media follows Obama's India visit closely

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

‘Bravo India’ say Australian, New Zealand media

News4u-News Desk-afp-SYDNEY: India defied a disastrous start to produce a safe and successful Commonwealth Games which were running smoothly by the final stages, Australian and New Zealand media said on Friday.

“Bravo India” declared an editorial in Sydneytabloid the Daily Telegraph which described the New Delhi Games as a “glorious competition”.

“This isn’t down to mere good fortune. Games officials have worked hard throughout to ensure a Games to remember, and for all the right reasons,” it said, as it praised the South Asian giant’s best ever gold medal haul.

New Delhi organisers suffered a barrage of bad publicity in the lead-up to the October 3-14 competition, with complaints about the unfinished and unhygienic athletes’ village, the risk of dengue fever and venue safety fears.

Days ahead of the event, the Australian government had warned of a “high risk of terrorism” during the Games, while athletes were also put off by the risk of contracting dengue fever.

But while the Games struggled against construction delays, empty stadiums and ticketing chaos, its security lockdown was effective, said The Australian.

“That India, a giant chaotic democracy located in one of the world’s most unstable regions, managed to avert a major terror attack in the face of serious threats from regional militants is a significant mark of success,” it said.

And while there had been incompetence from organisers, the locals had picked up the pieces and shown that “even the biggest mess can be cleaned up”, The Sydney Morning Herald said.

“They’ve pulled it off admirably and deserve better than the carping, nit-picking and borderline racism that has masqueraded as informed coverage of the Games,” wrote journalist Peter Hanlon.

The New Zealand Press Association said organisation gradually improved as the Games progressed, to the point where everything was running like clockwork just before the closing ceremony.

“For a Games where all the (Western media) talk going in was about cancellation, or a swift transfer to Melbourne, and where athletes bailed out pre-Games for fears over their safety and hygiene, Delhi far exceeded expectations,” it said.

“(By the closing ceremony) Games buses were running on time, crowds at many venues were sizeable, as security guards relented on their frisking frenzy.

“Delhi did perform, and it did deliver, albeit in a quirky, colourful, spasmodic, random and often frustrating fashion.”

However, it poured cold water on Delhi’s ambitions to host the 2020 Olympics, concluding: “Those Games, India is not ready for.”

australia and new zealand flag.

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Sino-Indian rivalry obsolete concept: Chinese media

News4u-News Desk-Beijing, Dismissing Sino-India rivalry as an “outdated” and “obsolete” geopolitical concept orchestrated by west, a state run newspaper said Asia and world have enough space for both to grow, even as it accepted that there are some bilateral issues to be resolved.

Blaming the “westerners and media agencies” for “overly exaggerating” the differences between the two countries, an article in the opinion page of ‘People’s Daily’ of ruling Communist Party of China, (CPC), said contrary to projections the ‘Dragon,’ ‘Elephant’ cooperation is most rational choice than the confrontation and competition.

They “tend to overly exaggerate the two countries’ differences in ideology and values, adhere to the obsolete geopolitical concept that two neighbouring powers are bound to be rivals and even have ill intentions to take third-party profits from the rivalry.pti

China

China

[ratings] Email This Post Email This Post

Viacom 18 Media launches Colors channel in Mid-East

News4u - News Desk : The country’s leading entertainment conglomerate, Viacom 18 Media has announced the launch of its flagship channel Colors in the Middle East.

The channel will be broadcasted via direct-to-home platform through Arab Digital Distribution Company (ADD), a leading DTH player in the Middle East and the North African region.

The channel is an equal joint venture between Viacom Inc and Network18 and has already been launched in the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

The endeavour is to capture the local Arab and Arab expatriate audience, particularly the young generation familiar with Bollywood.

Viacom18 Group COO and Colors Rajesh CEO Kamat said, “After our successful launch in the US and the UK this year, we are pleased to partner with Arab Digital Distribution to offer the best of family entertainment to our viewers in the Middle East. (PTI)

Viacom 18

Viacom 18

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Around 2000 media professionals to cover CWG ’10

News4u-News Desk-New Delhi, Around 800 international and 1200 domestic media personnel are expected to cover the Delhi Commonwealth Games scheduled to be held in the capital from October 3 to 14.

As compared to 1562 Media accreditations for the Melbourne Games in 2006, around 2000 accreditations will be made for Delhi 2010.

The Main Press Centre (MPC) will be available for use from September 23 and can be accessed till September 30, daily between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m and will be open round-the-clock from October 1-15.

The MPC boasts 600 work stations for press and photo areas, with Wi-Fi and High-speed broadband at rate card, Games info service to access Games News Service and transport schedules.

Media Covering Commonwealth Games

Media Covering Commonwealth Games

[ratings]

Email This Post Email This Post

Campaign to rid Chinese media of vanity, vulgarity

News4u-News Desk-Beijing, (PTI) The ruling Chinese Communist Party has launched a new initiative to cleanse the print and electronic media from ‘vanity, vulgarity, and kitsch’ asking for an end to ‘vulgar’ publications and broadcasts.

Signaling a new broadside against the three evils, Culture Minister Cai Wu sharply criticised the trend of “vulgarity” and “kitsch” in print and on electronic Chinese media accusing media of carrying “gossip and sensational stories” advocating money worship and consumerism.

The decade has cropped up after three and half decades after the “Cultural Revolution” shook China.

This is the second time that the CPC is focusing on China’s cultural direction, perhaps with a soft touch, compared to violent campaign called “Cultural Revolution” launched by the party founder Mao Zedong in 1966, to purge “liberal bourgeoisie” elements from restoring capitalism.

China

China

[ratings] Email This Post Email This Post