Mumbai’s Nariman House reopens today

News4u-News Desk-Putting behind the horrors of the 2008 terrorist attack, Chabad-Lubavitch of Mumbai at Nariman House reopened on Tuesday.

The fully renovated Nariman House, in south Mumbai’s Colaba area, will be blessed by a special gathering of 25 Rabbis representing the Jewish community from all over Asia.

Nariman House was made a target of one of the worst terrorist attacks in Mumbai.

The terrorist attack had killed six people, including Rabbi Gabi Holtzberg and his wife Rivky, belonging to the orthodox Jewish sect.

Their son Moshe, then two-year-old, had survived the attack, as his grandmother Sandra Samuel had rescued him from the house after the terrorists had held the family as hostage.

“This six-story building was continuously operating until the attack,” said Rabbi Israel Kozlovsky.

“We’re not moving into a new building; we are returning to our original building and we will be continuing and expanding all the activities that took place here.”

Rabbi Israel, along with his wife Chaya serve as the organisation’s directors at the Chabad-Lubavitch of Mumbai.

To commemorate the occasion, 25 Chabad-Lubavitch rabbis from across Asia, including locations such as Bangkok, Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong will convene at the newly-renovated center for the Asian regional gathering of Chabad-Lubavitch rabbis.


Nariman House

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Four new Governors appointed

News4u-News Desk-Kalyan Singh has been appointed Governor of Rajasthan while Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala appointed Governor of Karnataka. Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao has been appointed Governor of Maharashtra and Mridula Sinha appointed Governor of Goa.

Maharashtra Governor’s post fell vacant yesterday when incumbent K Sankaranarayanan resigned after he was transferred to Mizoram.

Post of the Governor of Karnataka has remained vacant since July end when former Law Minister H R Bhardwaj had completed his five year tenure while the post of Rajasthan Governor fell vacant after Margaret Alva completed her tenure early this month.

Goa Governor’s post fell vacant when former SPG chief B V Wanchoo resigned last month.


Kalyan Singh-Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Indians return from Ebola-hit nations amid tight screening

News4u-News Desk-With Indians fleeing west African nations in the wake of Ebola outbreak, six persons who arrived at Delhi airport on Tuesday from and around Liberia, were quarantined for tests while 85 others were cleared at Mumbai airport after they were found free of the symptoms.

The people, including two women and a child, who arrived in Delhi have been taken to a designated hospital where they will be monitored for any symptoms of the virus and tests will be conducted, officials said.

Amid elaborate precautionary arrangements, all 85 Indians who arrived in Mumbai airport from Liberia and Nigeria were cleared by the Airport Health Organisation (APHO).

These passengers arrived in three batches, Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) said in a statement.

The first group of 20 passengers arrived on board South African Airways flight SA 284 at 5 AM from Liberia via Johannesburg and were cleared by the APHO team after screening under supervision of health ministry officials.

None of them showed any symptoms of Ebola or had a history of contact with anybody afflicted with the disease, MIAL said.

After disembarkation of all the passengers the aircraft were disinfected by the APHO teams.

This was followed by another batch of 46 Indians from Liberia who arrived by Ethiopian Airline flight ET 610 soon after.

These passengers were also cleared after going through all the precautionary checks and screening, sources said.

19 others who came from Nigeria were also screened by APHO team for EVD and cleared, sources said.

A total of 44,700 Indians are living in different countries affected by Ebola, a deadly virus that has claimed over 1400 lives so far.


Indians return from Ebola-hit nations amid tight screening

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Sexual harassment case: Gwalior judge moves SC for new probe panel

News4u-News Desk-A Gwalior judge, who had alleged sexual harassment against an High Court judge, has moved the Supreme Court expressing dissatisfaction over setting up of a committee to look into her complaint.

The former woman judge pleads the apex court to set up an external committee comprising two Chief Justices and one judge of High Court.

The judge, who had resigned after the alleged sexual harassment also pleads the court to reinstate her as Additional District and Sessions Judge.


Supreme Court

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Ukraine says captured ‘Russian soldiers’ ahead of key talks

News4u-News Desk- Kiev’s security service has said its army in the war-torn east has captured 10 Russian paratroopers on Ukrainian soil, ramping up tensions on the eve of crunch talks on the conflict.

Soldiers from the 98th airborne division based in central Russia were captured near the Ukrainian village of Dzerkalne, about 50 kilometres southeast of the rebel hub Donetsk, Ukraine’s security service (UBS) said in a statement yesterday.

“Investigators opened a criminal probe into illegal border crossing by Russian armed citizens,” it added.

The news comes just hours before Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is due to meet Russian leader Vladimir Putin for the first time in months alongside top EU officials in Minsk today.

Ukraine’s Defence Minister Valeriy Geletey said the soldiers had been captured yesterday.

“Today Ukrainian armed forces captured many Russian soldiers,” Geletey wrote on his Facebook page.

“Officially they are at exercises in various corners of Russia. In reality, they are participating in military aggression against Ukraine” and their families know nothing about their true fate, he said.

“I am addressing the relatives of Russian servicemen: find out immediately where your loved ones are. Take them out of Ukraine, where they are being forced to die,” he added.

Kiev has long accused Moscow of stoking the separatist insurgency raging in its east but this is the first time Ukrainian authorities have claimed to take soldiers from Russia’s regular army captive.

Moscow has repeatedly denied any involvement in the rebellion in Ukraine, calling all evidence fabrication.

Earlier yesterday, Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said troops had halted a column of tanks and armoured personal carriers flying rebel flags from Russia heading towards the government-held port city of Mariupol.

But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed the claims, saying “there has been more than enough disinformation about our invasion.

No doubt some foreign newspaper will print that ‘news’ tomorrow”.

Over 2,200 people have died and 400,000 fled their homes since April in fighting that has left residents in some besieged rebel-held cities without water or power for weeks.


Ukraine says captured ‘Russian soldiers’ ahead of key talks

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Indian men and women teams enter in Incheon Games

News4u-Sports Desk- India have entered both the men’s and women’s team events in the volleyball competition of the 17th Asian Games to be held in Incheon, South Korea, next month.

While the men’s team is grouped with Hong Kong, Maldives and 2010 silver medallists Iran in Group C, the women are drawn to play against hosts South Korea - silver medal winners four years ago - Japan and Thailand in Group A.

The men had made it to the quarter-finals in the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou before losing to Thailand.

The women had finished 9th out of 11 teams, just above Maldives and Tajikistan.

Indian men spikers have won three medals, two bronze and a silver, previously in the Asian Games, while the women have drawn a blank.

Indian men clinched the bronze in the 1958 Asian Games in Tokyo, where volleyball made its debut, and then improved it to a silver finish four years later at Jakarta - losing to then Asian powerhouse Japan in the final.

The last Asian Games medal - a bronze - was grabbed by the men in 1986 at Seoul, South Korea. India’s preliminary group matches schedule:

Men:

Sept 20: v Hong Kong

Sept 24: v Maldives

Sept 26: v Iran

Women:

Sept 20: v South Korea

Sept 22: v Japan

Sept 24: v Thailand.


Incheon Games

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Ashwini-Tarun pair bows out of World Badminton C’ships

News4u-Sports Desk- India’s campaign in the Badminton World Championships got off to a poor start as the pair of Tarun Kona and Ashwini Ponnappa lost in the opening round of the mixed doubles event in Copenhagen on Monday.

Tarun and Ashwini went down 16-21 25-27 against the World No. 16 Danish pair of Anders Kristiansen and Julie Houmann in a contest that lasted 46 minutes.

The World No. 39 Indian duo lost the first game tamely but fought back in the second, which was not enough to prevail over their rivals at the Ballerup Super Arena.

However, Ashwini along with her women’s doubles partner Jwala Gutta, got a walkover in their opener to make the second round after England’s Heather Olver and Kate Robertshaw withdrew from the tournament.

Jwala and Ashwini will face fifth seeded Chinese Qing Tian and Yunlei Zhao in the second round.

The Chinese combination enjoys an unbeaten 6-0 record over the Indian pair.

Later on Monday, Commonwealth Games gold medallist Parupalli Kashyap will play his opening round men’s singles match, while men’s doubles combo of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar and mixed double duo of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan will battle it out in their respective matches.


Tarun Kona and Ashwini Ponnappa

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

India, Russia hold maiden aerial exercise

News4u-News Desk- India and Russia on Monday started their maiden aerial exercise in Russia involving aircraft like Su-30MKI and Mi-17 helicopters to boost cooperation between their air forces.

“Ex Avia Indra-2014 commenced today at Astrakhan region, near the Caspian Sea in Russia. The exercises will continue for ten days and would be concluded on September 5,” an IAF release said.

This is the first such exercise involving the air forces of the two countries and is “seen as a major mile stone in military relations.

This involves participation of fighter pilots, helicopter pilots, missile combat crew, as well as engineers from the IAF,” it said.

The two countries already have INDRA-series war games between their armies and navies but this is the first exercise between their air forces.

During the exercise, fighter and helicopter pilots of IAF will participate in missions alongside Russian pilots in aircraft of the Russian Air Force Su-30SM fighter aircraft, Mi-17 and Mi-35 helicopters.

The two air forces will also hold discussions on air defence and their missile combat crew will interact with each other and participate in air defence exercises.

“It will also provide an opportunity to both the forces for exchange of best practices and will cement the foundation for a more professional interaction and growth in the future,” the IAF said.

Russia is the major supplier of defence equipment to India and Russian-origin aircraft such as the Su-30MKI and MiG-series planes are the mainstay of its air power.

India, Russia hold maiden aerial exercise

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Two Censor Board agents get bail in CBFC bribe case

News4u-News Desk- A special CBI court on Monday granted bail to two censor board agents arrested for allegedly taking bribe on the behalf of Board’s CEO Rakesh Kumar who is currently in CBI custody.

Judge S G Deshpande granted bail to Shripati Mishra and Sarvesh Jaiswal on a personal bond of Rs 50,000 each.

Defence lawyer Priyatosh Tiwari argued CBI is already in possession of every material that is required to investigate this case and the alleged role of these two persons. Hence, there is no need to keep them in custody.

The lawyer pleaded the accused will not abscond and there is no chance of them influencing any witness or evidence.

According to Tiwari, they should be released as CBI also did not object to their bail application.

CBI has alleged Mishra and advisory member of the Censor Board, Sarvesh Jaiswal, were taking bribe on behalf of its CEO.

After their arrest on August 14, they were sent to CBI custody and later remanded in judicial custody.

During interrogation of the duo, the alleged involvement of Kumar, a former Indian Railways Personnel Officer who had joined as the CEO of CBFC in January this year, had cropped up and as a result of which he was arrested on August 18.

Kumar was remanded in CBI custody for a week on August 22.

The central agency told the court that they suspect that apart from taking bribe for issuing censor certificates, Kumar was also taking money during the screening process by threatening to cut certain scenes of a movie.


CEO Rakesh Kumar

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Tiger Woods splits with swing coach Sean Foley

News4u-Sports Desk- Miami: Tiger Woods has split up with swing coach Sean Foley after a four-year partnership, the 14-times golf major winner said on Monday.

The former world number one is sidelined with a back injury and does not plan to play again until his World Challenge tournament in Florida in December.

“I`d like to thank Sean for his help as my coach and for his friendship,” Woods told his official website (www.tigerwoods.com).

“Sean is one of the outstanding coaches in golf today and I know he will continue to be successful with the players working with him.

“With my next tournament not until my World Challenge event at Isleworth in Orlando, this is the right time to end our professional relationship,” added the 38-year-old.

Woods previously worked with Hank Haney and Butch Harmon before joining forces with Foley in August 2010.

The coach controversially redesigned Woods`s swing but the American great has failed to win a major in their time together.

Foley coaches a number of top players including world number five Justin Rose and American Hunter Mahan, who won The Barclays tournament in New Jersey on Sunday.

“My time spent with Tiger is one of the highlights of my career so far and I am appreciative of the many experiences we shared together,” Foley said.

“It was a lifelong ambition of mine to teach the best player of all time in our sport. I am both grateful for the things we had the opportunity to learn from one another as well as the enduring friendship we have built.

“I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.”

Woods has not appointed a replacement and gave no clue about when he might make a choice.

“Presently I do not have a coach and there is no timetable for hiring one,” said the world number 12.
Reuters


Tiger Woods

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter